Wednesday, July 3, 2013

How to take charge of my interest in photography?

canon digital camera history on Amazon.com: A Defence Of The Small Farmmers Of Ireland (9781173551339 ...
canon digital camera history image



cheesebloc


I am interested in photography but I havent yet taken any good pictures recentl. Lately though I think that I should take some steps to improve on it.

What should I do to build up on my interest in photography? I have Canon Powershot S80 and my sister left me her EOS Rebel 2000 which I have no idea how to use since it requires real film in comparison of my basic knowledge only on operating digital cameras. Any ideas on how to get this baby up and running? [I have a specific question targetting this on on the photography forum]

Anyway, what steps would you suggest me to take in improving myself? Take classes? Join competitions? etc.. Please help me... :)



Answer
First of all, you have to have a passion for it in the first place. As long as you like something and put the time and effort into learning it, you will get better.

The first step you should take is getting into a class. I'm not sure how old you are but I started in my HS and took it all through college and now I work in the field.

You need to learn the basic skills or operating a film camera. That is a huge thing. I know digital is where it's at and that's how I shoot at the present time but it's never a bad thing to learn how to shoot film. It's a lot of fun to learn how to develop and print your own photographs.

BOOKS! you need them. you need a basic guide to photography which will include technique, composition, lighting.

It never hurts to enter a competition...but most of them cost money and if you don't feel you have the skill to compete it's a waste of money. get to reading some books and play with your camera. take it everywhere you go. take pictures of your family, friends, pets, neighbors, animals, nature, cityscapes. anything you see!

go to the bookstore and look through the history of photography as well. look up different photographers on the internet. the more you see, the better you will get. you just need the proper inspiration and there is no better way than to look at other people's art.

check out some of my photography too!

http://dorkykittygurl.deviantart.com/

photozo.com is a good forum.

What is a good camera for a beginning photography class?




Isabeau


I am thinking of taking a photography class at my local community college. What is a good "starter" camera?
It has to be 35mm with f-stop and shutter controls.
I am completely clueless and don't know what those things are or where to look. I'd like to spend as little as possible.
Thank you!



Answer
I'm a Nikon guy so my answer might be a bit biased.

I'd recomend the D40, its $490 at Adorama, my favorite photo retailing site.

http://www.adorama.com/INKD40KSD.html?searchinfo=nikon%20D40%20outfit&item_no=4

That kit comes with the camera, a zoom lens, and a memory card, everything you need to start taking pictures. The camera has both f/stop and shutter controls, but isn't technically 35mm, its actually 24mm (if I remember correctly.) They aren't really any 'starter' 35mm digital cameras, you'd have to spend well over a thousand dollars for a 35mm digital. I'm sure your photo teacher just means it can't be a point and shoot. If he really means it has to be a 35mm film camera, then your choices are near limitless, but you're almost certainly going to be buying used.

The great thing about the Nikon (or Canon) system is that it can grow with you. If photography is something you get into you can buy new lenses and accessories to complement the camera you have, and when you want to get a new camera, it will work with the lenses you've already bought.

_________________________________________
Edit - It looks like the other responders are certain you really do need a film camera. If the class has anything related to developing and working in a darkroom then you definitely DO need a film camera.

I'd still recommend a Nikon, especially an older one. Nikon lenses are MUCH easier to find, just because in the company's ~50 year history of making SLRs the lens mount hasn't changed (though certain other things about lens compatibility have) whereas old Canon lenses don't work on new Canon camera and vice versa. I completely agree with the responder who recommended the FM-10, available here with a lens for less than $200 (used). http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20304835.html?searchinfo=nikon%20fm-10&item_no=4




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How to take charge of my interest in photography?
Rating: 94% based on 99768 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment